Saturday 25 March 2023

Of funeral parlours and Pakistani handicrafts


I visited a traditional handicraft shop in Karachi, Pakistan a few days ago. It was a typical upmarket "ethnic' handicraft shop one may find in many cities around the world. However, there was a rhythmic clanging noise coming from downstairs - the shop had a basement - which intrigued me. The sounds were like a lullaby made by some sort of wooden instrument.

I went downstairs to investigate and see for myself.

Video by Imran Ahmed (author). All Rights Reserved.

Adjacent to the staircase was a large wooden hand loom - at least that is what I think it was - on which a man was weaving cloth. The man was dressed in a dark tee shirt and a shalwar - the baggy pants traditionally worn by many Pakistanis.

His hair stood out. Well, there wasn't that much of it really. What little was left was dyed orange using henna. 

Henna is often used as a hair dye in Islamic countries, especially by religiously conservative men, as it is a natural hair dye. Moreover, henna hair dye is presumed not to be vain (vanity being a sin) in contrast with chemical hair dye.

The room was full of hanging shawls, including traditional Sindhi ajrak shawls, which had been block printed by hand. As I looked around, I realized that these handicrafts are quietly disappearing from Pakistan. Suddenly, the room felt more like a funeral parlour than a workspace.

Within a few decades we may only see such items and traditional crafts people in museums or similar heritage sites.

There are many advantages to living in a global village but the disappearance of unique customs and practices only to be replaced by a global 'jeans and tee shirt' culture is a genuine threat to the world.

______________________________

I am a Singapore based Tour Guide with a special interest in arts and history. I have lived and worked in several countries during my career as an international banker. I enjoy traveling, especially by train, as a way to feed y curiosity about the world and nurture my interest in photography. I am available on twitter (@grandmoofti); Instagram(@imranahmedsg) and can be contacted at imran.ahmed.sg@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment